I don’t know about you, but it’s been a long week around here and I’m excited to have a few quiet moments to enjoy a cup of coffee with a friend.
If were were having coffee today I would start off with some light banter.
Then if I was going to be real I would have to tell you it’s been a really rough week around here this week. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I think there’s been a disconnect between what I say to my children and what they hear.
I wish I could say it was all sunshine and unicorns…because after all, isn’t what motherhood is meant to be?
When the artist painted that pretty picture of the joys of motherhood, he forgot to paint the little toys on the floor, the mom tripping, the kids running around screaming, the vacuum out with good intentions, dishes piling up in the sink and the frazzled look on my face that says, “what the heck happened?”
This is how my life of sunshine and unicorns looked this week.
– Two days ago Katelyn asked me if she could use the potty durning nap time. I, of course, gave her permission. When I didn’t hear her footsteps heading back to her room only seconds later I checked on her to find that she had decided to pee, wipe, toss her t.p in to the potty and then take said wet tissue and clean my entire toilet with it!!!!!!!
– Brayden got upset twice this week after finishing his meal because he didn’t want to be cleaned up and decided to throw his leftovers all over the floor. Did I say twice?!
– Brayden has also taken to telling me when he has pooped in his diaper by sticking his hands in his diaper and then coming and showing me he has pooped!!
– Earlier this week our littles woke up before us and before we knew it were screaming in the kitchen. They had decided to take a stool to the fridge, climb on it to get down the yogurt they wanted. Katelyn proceeded to open said yogurt, but when Brayden refused to share it with her, she promptly took it away. Thus the screaming began. Then next thing I knew I was being woken up by a little boy whose face and fingers were covered in sticky strawberry yogurt.
– They have picked out the deodorant from my deodorant stick.
– Gotten into my feminine products.
and well that’s all just what they did when I was making lunch, cooking dinner or heaven forbid, going to the bathroom.
Oh and I almost forgot… last night when I jumped in the shower to wash away the day I had my shower head broke and hit me in the face! Despite our efforts we couldn’t fit it and I was forced to take a shower without a shower head.
This week there were many tantrums and lots of timeouts and that’s just not including the trouble my littles got into.
Even as I write the stresses of this week down, I find myself shaking my head and giggling a little. Was it funny at the time? No!
But now I know why those horrible painters we hate so much paint that picture of motherhood with rainbows and unicorns. Because at the end of the day, when all is said and done. The kisses, hugs, snuggles and “I love you’s” that I get outweigh any deodorant stick, yogurt carton, and spilled milk. At least for today.
The love that pours out of those two little souls seem make all the hardships of being a mommy seem to slip away. I’m not sure how they do it. Maybe it’s the same grace and love that pours out of our Heavenly Father. I can’t help but wonder how often I cause him to feel frustrated, hurt or even sad by my actions or the choices I’m making. Yet he chooses to forgive me in spite of myself and my failure to know his will and not follow it.
I know tomorrow is another day, but Lord knows, I hope it’s not anything like the last couple of days!!
Hows your week been going? Anything new in your neck of the woods?
If you’re joining me for coffee this week please:
1. Link up to your coffee post, not just your blog.
2. Please include a link back to my blog so others can join us for coffee too.
3. Take a minute to join someone else for coffee. I know they’d appreciate it.