I mentioned in this post that we had quietly purchased a home in historic downtown Franklin, TN, in September of 2016 that we’ve affectionally deemed the Downtown Franklin Cottage. We’ve been using the cottage as a short term rental and I had several people reach out asking for more details about our historic home there, so I thought I would take a minute to share them here and give you a tour of the home.
Kyle and I have had a place in our heart for Tennessee for many years. With Kyle’s history in the music industry for more than 15 years, his travels had taken him through Nashville often. Over the years some of our California friends have moved out there, in fact we had bought a home in 2008 in Brentwood, TN, planned to move, and then an opportunity to buy in California near family came up and we felt the Lord calling us to stay.
Fast forward 10 years and we’ve visited Franklin for weddings and family vacations and each time we visited we would always feel the tug to own a little something out there. Each trip we would drive around, look at homes, discover new corners of Franklin, TN, but never found something that made sense to buy. Then, while attending a friend’s wedding in August of 2016 we were driving around historic downtown Franklin, near Main Street when we stumbled upon a home that was for sale by owner. A home built in 1900 (117 years old!) that sat on the same site where the Battle of Franklin took place, a home with an original front door and wood floors stole our hearts. We fell in love immediately!
The home sits on almost 15,000 sq feet of land in downtown Franklin and has a detached carriage home behind the garage that has been the perfect location for a long term rental. Long story short, we made an offer, flew home from that 8 day trip, then turned around and went back 7 days later for another week to have inspections done. Flew home, kids started school and two weeks later I flew out to Franklin, signed all paperwork, took the keys, cleaned and furnished the home (with the help of the amazing friends we have out there) in 48 hours and listed it on Airbnb. It rented for Pilgrimage Festival 4 days later.
Following that we spruced up the detached cottage, a space once used as a recording studio for the guitarist for Kings of Leon (!!). We converted into a one bedroom cottage that is rented out to an adorable little family. The main house, complete with a dreamy outdoor, enclosed porch with a pizza stone fireplace and table that seats 14 is one of my favorite spots to spend time when we’re out there visiting – which we do a lot! We’ve found that we love to get away and slow down our pace of life and it’s served as a great starting point for all our central and eastern US road trips. In fact we started and ended our 17 state and Ontario, Canada, road trip this summer from our home in Franklin.
If you’re looking for a great place for a retreat with your family, time away with your spouse or a girls weekend, you’ll probably fall in love with this spot too. Don’t just take my word for it, here a few more things that make this home special.
- Built in 1900, by one of two brothers who built side by side homes and lived there till they passed.
- Built on the same site as the Battle of Franklin during the Civil War. I might not agree with why the south fought the north, but there’s no denying the greatness that comes with living on land so rich in history
- The writer of the movie Free Willy once lived in our home, and wrote the script while living there.
- The cottage once known as Rebel Waltz Recording Co. served as a recording studio for the guitarist/drummer of Kings of Leon, The OC Supertones, Reliant K, Project 86, The Dingees, John Davis (Superdrag) and Demon Hunter
- Records recorded there include: Flatfoot 56, August Burns Red, The Send, The Lonely Hearts and many others
- Almost all the floors in the home are original
- The couch in the living room was once owned by the guitar player for Alabama
- Our home is only a 10 mile walk from downtown Main Street, making it the perfect getaway
Here’s the link to our Airbnb if you ever find yourself looking for a place to get away.