A couple weeks ago I attended my first big conference, Snap! the Conference in Utah. It was an incredible experience and not only did I meet amazing people, but I also got to attend some pretty amazing and informative sessions while I was there.
I though it would be fun over the next few weeks to share some of what I learned with you.
Finding Your Niche
- Follow your passion
- Ask yourself, what would I be able to work on daily?
- Identify your strengths
- What is your traffic potential?
- Pick an angle
- Come up with a Mission Statement for your blog and stick to it!
Branding Your Blog
- What do you want to to be known for?
- What differentiates you from others?
- Use 5 adjectives to describe your blog? This one really got me thinking because I’m not sure I would be able to come up with 5 right away.
- Be sure to use consistent messages, images and values on your blog.
Building a Community
It is SO important to build a community when you are trying to grow your blog. After all, why would people want to follow you if they don’t feel like you try to connect to them as well. Here are some great things you can do to create a community.
- Comment and ask questions: visit others blogs and not only leave a comment, but as a question that warrants a response.
- Center posts around readers: write posts your readers would be interested in reading
- Feature others and share links: share, share, share. It’s all about paying if forward
- Participate (discussion groups, chats)
- Challenge readers
- Social Media: know what social media outlets your readers use and interact with them on those sites. If your followers enjoy Facebook more than Twitter, make it a point to spend time interacting with them on Facebook daily.
How to Stand Out
- Blog Design: In my personal option I enjoy reading blogs whose headers says something about who they are, whose layouts are clean, easy to navigate, and blogs who include clear and large pictures.
- Writing Personality: Be the same person you are on your blog in real life.
- Unique information or perspective
- Be YOU!
Working with an Ad Network
Working with Brands
- Reach out to relevant brands
- What can you offer?
- Create a Media Kit. (this is also really good when reaching out to potential sponsors)
- Be Professional
- Be honest, but do it in a tactful way. If you don’t like a product simply send it back rather than dragging it through the mud on your blog.
- Ad Networks (such as BlogHer, Collective Bias, Clever Girls Collective, Rivit, or Social Spark)
- Affiliate programs
- Selling Goods/Services
- Sponsored Posts
- Ad Spots
- One thing I learned that I never realized is that when you do a tutorial you are hoping people will pin to Pinterest, use a vertical picture!
- Post a finished picture at the TOP of the post!! Do NOT hide the final product at the bottom. You need to catch peoples eye from the get go.
- Have a pinboard for your blog
The Management Side of your Blog
- Learn when to say NO!! It’s not always fun to say no especially when you’re trying to grow your blog, but if you are too busy you need to learn to say no rather than over committing.
- Use a blog calendar. It will help you keep track of your month
- Working in Advance. Schedule out posts when you have extra time to do so.
- Be Patient!
- Know there are different types of success
- Have a goal and work to reach it!
- DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!
I hope you are all able to find these tips helpful. Please feel free to email or leave a comment with any other questions you have and I’ll do my best to answer them all.
Did you see anything you already want to change about your blog or how you manage your time?